Monday, April 18, 2016

Alaska Move 2016 - Day 3

Day 3 - Leaving USA, Entering Canada

April 4, Monday


Bonnie is co-piloting today so I can be in the backseat to try to keep the dogs calm at the Canada border crossing. Hope the Xanax works!


Minnesota!


They were so good during the whole trip!


Almost time to stop for snow tires to be put on in North Dakota.


North Dakota!


Snow Tires put on!


The dogs were angels at the border crossing into Canada. The Border Agents loved them. There is a story though. I'm going to let Tom tell it......

Well, that was Canada Border crossing number 17 for me and the worst yet. And by worst, I mean intense, not bad. It was very pleasant and at no time was I worried or anything like that.

We got to the drive thru and answered all the questions. He asked us to pull into the compound lot and come inside with our passports. Another agent asked the same questions plus a few more and then took our passports to do some research as we were asked to sit for a spell.

About 10 minutes later, I was called to an interrogation room where I was asked to empty my pockets. He got a good laugh at my roll of dog poopy bags. He was extremely polite and asked lots of questions about my work history, Alaska history, gun history, etc. Another 10 minutes later, I was told they will be searching the truck and trailer and to hold tight for a bit.

Finally, he and I went to check things out. I took the dogs out of the truck and he asked me to stand in front where he could see me as he searched truck. Just a quick search to make sure that when I got in it and pulled into the exam bay, I didn't have any weapons to grab. Standard precaution. In the bay, he did a quick search of the trailer, but mostly just talked about and played with the dogs. Super nice guy.
Bottom line, they were doing their job and I appreciate it. At no time were they unpleasant. I could definitely think of worse ways to spend an hour. Now, if I had anything to hide, it would have been a rough hour indeed.

Day 3 Recap

Travel Time: 6:30am Monday - 12:30am Tuesday
Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, Canada - Saskatchewan 
Started: Charles City, Iowa
Ended: Estevan, Saskatchewan, Canada
811 Miles

No comments: