Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween Winter Wonderland

We decided yesterday for our Saturday trip we were going to go to Seward (2 hours away) and visit "Exit Glacier".

Once we got about an hour away from home, the landscape was covered with snow and beautiful views.

Upon arrive at Exit Glacier, the road was closed due to winter weather.  We were disappointed, but had enjoyed the scenery on the trip, so it was still worth the travel.

We rode around the town of Seward some and enjoyed some of the turn offs to park and view and picture take.

We stopped at one park and just walked and played in the snow.  We were a bunch of little kids laughing and crunching snow under our feet.

We had a very late lunch once we got back to Anchorage at the Sea Galley.  Good food, good service.

Then we did our weekly grocery shopping and came home to watch the Gamecock football game (we lost).

Our plan was to take Bonnie out to the Zoo where they were having trick-or-treating for the kids.  But although she is feeling better from when she had that sore throat a week or so ago, when she spends any time outside in the cold, her cough starts back up.  After playing in the snow today and hearing the poor darling cough again and again, I decided a trip to the zoo to walk around outside in weather that was in the teens was a bad idea.  So we just stayed home.


On Friday, Bonnie and I took my car to Jiffy Lube to get an emissions test which is required before I can obtain Alaska license plates.  It passed (whew), but we ended up waiting in the lobby for 25 minutes which was BORING.

We left there and went to the highway department, got a number, and started filling out forms for new tags for my car, register my car, and for me to get an Alaskan driver's license.  The number we pulled was 152, and they were currently serving 132.  Oh boy, another wait ahead.  I was hoping Bonnie was going to be good and not get restless and loud and yank on me telling me she wants to go eat or go home.

Bonnie was very good.  She did say she wanted to eat, and I told her we would as soon as we were done here.

Anyone applying for an Alaskan driver's license from another state, has to take the written test.  I was so nervous.  As soon as you answer 16 questions correctly, the test is over.  If you miss more than 4, you have to try again the next day.

Can you believe I missed the first 2 questions?  My heart pounded the rest of the time.  I was so worried I wasn't going to pass.  The very first question was what was the minimum requirements for insurance in all 3 categories.  I had no idea.  Tom handles all of the insurance stuff.  I made a complete guess, and it was wrong.  I did end up passing though.  The first 2 questions I had missed were the only questions I missed.  Oh, Thank You God.

What I thought was cool, they had a place for Bonnie to sit at a desk right beside where I was taking the test and her TV screen showed cartoons. 

So we had to wait again, then sat back down to finish all the paperwork to get our tags.

After all that was done, we didn't leave until 3:00.  We were both STARVING.

We went to Sicily's Pizza - a first for us - ordered some mozzarella sticks and an extra large pizza with sausage, pepperoni and steak to go.

By the time we got home to eat, it was about 3:45.  And that pizza was the best I've EVER had.  Of course, it could be just because I was so hungry.  Tom had some for supper too and we still had tons of pizza left over.

So, I guess it's official... I'm an Alaskan now.... right....?


Tom is doing his solo, strenuous hiking today. He is off to Wolverine Peak.  He just sent a message saying it was 15 degrees, snow on the ground, 10 miles and 3800' elevation gain in front of him.  He's like a kid in a candy store.

I'll post pics and his story later on after he gets back and tells me all about it.

I hope everyone had a safe Halloween.  Enjoy this day.


No comments: